One Veteran’s Journey to Recovery | An Expert Discussion Panel
Last week WorkCompCentral® held their annual Comp Laude Awards and Gala, which has historically brought innovative ideas and new insights into the workers compensation world. This year it was held as a Live Virtual Event, and we were fortunate enough to be featured on one of their discussion panels entitled One Veteran’s Journey to Recovery.
This panel of experts note that while our nation continues through the current pandemic, we are also still facing an opioid crisis and recent studies show overdoses have increased. This is confounded by the present mental health of our country and the ability to access medical care. However, effective alternatives are available to those in need of help recovering from both acute and chronic injuries.
The panelists include specialists with backgrounds in the insurance and workers compensation industry, pain management and orthopedic surgery, as well as the U.S. military. They each discuss their journeys dealing with chronic pain, treatments they’ve tried, struggles they’ve overcome, and recommendations on how to recover for those experiencing similar situations, especially while navigating the challenges of COVID-19 and the opioid epidemic.
The speakers include:
- Dr. Stephen Fisher, MD, PhD, Orthopedic Surgeon and Medical Advisor
- Sherman Gillums, Chief Strategy Officer, AMVETS, Retired USMC
- Eddy Canavan, Chief Claims Advisor, Alta Claims Services
Topics to be Discussed:
- Breaking the cycle when the patient appears resistant to medical treatment
- The perspective and experiences of two Wounded Warriors as they forged a path to recovery and success
- Our Nation’s pain crisis and access to care during a pandemic
- How our mental health complicates recovery and isolation
- Effective treatment alternatives that disrupt the status quo